Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Truth Comes Out In the End - A Poo Story

One thing I kept reading all the time while reading up on the BARF (Bones And Raw Food) diet was how different a kibble dog's poo was from a raw-fed dog's.  I didn't believe the stories or at least assumed there was some exaggerating going on.  Oh how wrong I was!

I kept reading things like: "a fraction of the size" or "no smell at all" or "we never have to clean up after him anymore." No way.  How could that be right?  They are eating about the same amount (by weight).  What goes in must come out right?

Apparently that is true for kibble but not so much for a raw food diet. I thought I'd share a couple of pictures.  They aren't mine but they mirror what I'm seeing with my dogs.  Funny enough, it never occurred to me to take photos of dog poop for "before-and-after" purposes.  (I wish I had thought of it now though.)

From http://neversaynevergreyhounds.blogspot.com/2009/07/its-in-bag.html
First, overall quantity really is a fraction of what it was.  In fact, at times our lab produces even less.  (I haven't checked on Max's since he runs way to the far corner of our property to do his business.)

Then there is the smell.  A sudden wind change after Mylie dropped a doggy-land-mine was nearly enough to knock you out.  It definitely was enough to drive you away from the area. Since we switched the dogs to raw foods, I can honestly say I haven't smelled a thing even once.  I'm not going to go and put my face down there to get a good whiff, but before 10'-15' was more than close enough.


Finally, those "no clean up" rumors look like they'll be pretty much true once we get to spring again.  Someone took the time to take several comparison photos over time.  Here is the difference between kibble and BARF poo after only six days!

Even in the cold weather it really does literally crumble to dust just like in this photo.  When spring rains come the evidence will be gone.  No more stepping in a big pile of poo!  


Just wanted to share my 2¢ on the real scoop about poop.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment