Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The first meal on Raw

Well this morning we fed Max and Mylie their first RAW food diet and at first they licked the meat and that went on for at least 7- 10 min or so.  Then they began to chew on the skin a bit and finally after a bit of time they got into eating the meat and bones.  Once that started it didn't really take long. I was really worried that they would not eat it!  It was quite amusing and entertaining.  We will see what comes out the other end in a few hours haha.  I'm expecting lose stool for a few days so that won't be a surprise.  I'm hoping that their is no throwing up though. 
What did they have:  They both had a leg quarter and one gizzard each.  Which would be right about 1/2 of their daily amount needed.  My boxer is 64 lbs and Mylie is just behind him at 57 lbs.  She's much shorter then he is and Max has always had the problem of seeing ribs (which is one reason among many we switched to a raw food diet) so he needs to put on a few lbs but not much.
At first I was worried about them choking on the bones (Max seemed to be doing better) so I held the leg for Mylie (once she got down to just the leg)  while she chewed but then she would not chew into the bone while I was holding it! She would start and then stop...I think she thought it was my finger.  Then I decided to let it go and be ready to grab it just in case.   At first she was trying to eat it the long way (that freaked me out) but then she finally turned it and chewed the bones right up like it was kibble!  Amazing really how strong their teeth are. We fed their first meal at 10am (I slept in, usually it will be closer to 7am)  and they both finished the same time.  It took them about 20-25 min from start to finish.  About 7 of that LICKING the chicken!  I think next meal will be a bit faster now that they know it's OK to eat that. And bones ARE for chewing (they are NOT fingers).  I have a video I will post also.  It was right after throwing the chicken to them.  I fed them out on our patio in fear they would haul raw meat all over the house (had a dream the night before about that).  Will update on what happens later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment