Sunday, December 11, 2011

Switching to Raw Food in a few days!

Wanted to start this blog just to keep a record on the costs and how the dogs do on a  raw food diet.  I have done a lot of research on the diet and read both pros and cons.  From what I have read the pros FAR outweigh the cons.  The cons coming from ppl who are either selling the pet foods or getting paid to sell the pet foods.  Of course they don't want to lose business so they will find any con they can to try to sway ppl to steer clear of the Raw food diets.  I get that, I do, but I'm not being swayed away from what I feel is a healthier diet (IMHO) just because they say it's bad.  I will try it out for myself and see how it all goes.  What we have done so far is collect any meats we have been finding on sale and sticking them in the freezer.  We find a lot of chicken quarters/ hearts/gizzard and I did get some Suet because my Boxer does need to put on some weight.  I weighed them out and put them in bags for each dog.  Going to stick to 2-3 % of the dogs body weight as recommended.  Also, just feeding ONE type of meat for a week for ONE meal each day (chicken).  The second meal will be their Kibble.  One leg quarter (with a little cut off) was enough for one meal per dog along with a gizzard and a heart. 

Many have said that you CAN go cold turkey and just begin the switch right away and others say you should slowly switch.  I'm kind of doing more of the meat and just a little kibble at the end of the day.  They say you should NOT mix  raw and kibble because Kibble takes a lot longer to digest. So I'm going with the many raw food experts I have read about out there and doing what they recommend.  I will update as I go!



No comments:

Post a Comment